It is not the lack of the above mentioned items that puts happiness at arms reach. It is the small irritations that we encounter everyday.
A good friend of mine turned me on to the idea of paying attention to the small, almost daily irritants that diminish my sense of happiness and well being. In other words, the things that drive me crazy!
So one weekend when I was working around the house I stopped and wrote down all of the irritants I encountered. There were 13 things altogether. Here's the short list:
- Uncomfortable shoes
- Uncomfortable underwear (or clothing in general)
- Drawers and closets that are too stuffed (although organized)
- Old, yucky dish sponge
- Too much junk mail
- Poor quality writing pens (It's always the one you grab. It never fails)
- Difficult vacuum (I hate my vacuum. Unfortunately, it is fairly new)
So what did I do?
- Donated the uncomfortable shoes (they may fit someone else perfectly)
- Tossed out the ill fitting underwear (and went and bought new)
- Looked at my personal belongings with a more critical eye, eliminated items and created more space
- Tossed out the sponge and pulled out a new one from under the sink (I already had a replacement at the ready)
- Wrote to the mail preference service to eliminate junk mail
- Threw away the writing pens (no one else would enjoy using them)
- Started researching vacuums (got any suggestions?)
And I must say, by eliminating these annoyances that I continued to tolerate day after day, I sent a message to myself that I am worth the time and energy to make myself happy.
And you are too.
Start making your list.
Simply Organized can help you organize your home or office, room by room, closet by closet, and drawer by drawer. They use organizing tools and techniques designed specifically for you. Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Simply Organized can help you with meal planning, wardrobe planning and everything in between. Check them out at www.simplyorganized.com .