And Above All Else, I am Thankful For Nancy Pelosi & Dark Carpeting
I’ve decided that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year. It has nothing to do with the fact that Thanksgiving signals the beginning of the holiday season – I actually hate the holiday season – and it has nothing to do with family togetherness, either – I’ll leave you to fill in that blank. It’s just that I kind of have a thing for reflective holidays, and Thanksgiving is the king of them.
My life is crazy and frenzied, and the good majority of it is spent running around trying to fit two days worth of activities into one. And then, of course, the time that isn’t spent running around is spent complaining about how I’m always running around, and this state of affairs just doesn’t lend itself to much reflection upon the things in my life that are actually good. And so, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I’d like to take this opportunity to list the things for which I am thankful. Now, this isn’t going to be a sappy list. The big things (kids, husband, health, home), those go without saying. My intention here is to give thanks for the little things in life; the things that make my running around, tired, complaining, frenzied life just a little bit more tolerable each day.
And so, without further ado, here are the (Almost) Top Twelve Things For Which I Am Thankful This Thanksgiving.
12. I am thankful that the Disney Channel does not run commercials for toys (unlike Nickelodeon), as this allows me to get through the morning lunch-packing, breakfast-making, teeth-brushing rush without my having to be summoned to the couch every twenty minutes in order to be told just how much my daughter really, really, wants something.
11. I am thankful for Annie’s Organic Macaroni and Cheese, because somehow, the word organic makes me feel infinitely less guilty about serving Mac & Cheese for dinner multiple times in one week.
10. I am thankful for Nancy Pelosi.
9. I am thankful that my digital camera has the capability to take one-minute videos, because without it I would have virtually no live footage of my children during their childhoods, save for a few school events and one birthday party where I actually remembered to both charge and bring my video camera.
8. I am thankful that sand, dirt, worms, sequins, beads and small rocks can be flushed down the toilet without incident.
7. I am thankful for nap time, especially when it lasts longer than expected.
6. I am thankful for my Blackberry Handheld Wireless, as it allows me to pretend that I am working when in fact I am watching my daughter’s ballet class, playing with my son at the park, or shopping for new shoes at Barney’s.
5. I am thankful for the shoe department at Barneys.
4. I am thankful for Target.
3. I am thankful that my son can easily be bribed with chocolate.
2. I am thankful for those adult musicians who make children’s music that is not only tolerable, but even somewhat enjoyable, for other adults.
And, finally, the (Almost) Top Thing for Which I Am Thankful This Thanksgiving: